Sunday, September 20, 2009

Steak!

Yesterday, my girlfriend and I decided we were sick of Pfeiffer food. In the early afternoon, we went down to Hy-Vee by way of Moats Park (a playground with the most awesome equipment ever!) to get some food to have for supper. It turned out that we discovered a Hy-Vee deal that we could get 3 palm-sized steaks for $4. We both are meat eaters, so we decided that she'd buy the meat and I'd buy the seasoning. We returned to our rooms after our purchases and spent time doing homework and watching TV and talking in her room.

Finally, we decided we were hungry and it was time to make the steak. I pulled out my pizza pan and a knife while she brought a fork and plates, and we went into the little kitchen. (This kitchen is not much bigger than the average bathroom, and it has a stove, sink, and microwave. There are no utensils or anything.) I slapped the steaks onto the pizza pan, and we cooked them on the biggest burner there was. Once the steaks started to get done, I made Parmesan couscous from a box. The steaks finished cooking and we put them onto a plate, nearly drooling at the sight and smell of Real Meat. She scrubbed my pizza pan because there was a considerable amount of black charring on it, and when she flipped it over to rinse it, we discovered a scorch mark from the burner. No big deal. We went back to her room and I cut each steak in half so we could each have similar taste experiences. We divided the couscous and then, we ate.

To say that it was a pleasurable experience would not be a lie. That steak tasted so very delicious, savory, with the right combination of seasoning, meat flavor, and juiciness. It was like manna from heaven, it was so wonderful. It's making me nearly drool to remember it!

1 comment: