Saturday, February 20, 2010

update

It keeps snowing here in the great white midwest. Fine with me since I live right next to the dining hall! :) Wednesday I saw on TV that we'd had something like 71 days with at least 5" of snow on the ground and that was a record. Snow depth is currently around 16", but we are promised 5" more for Sunday. Yikes. So glad I don't have a car to dig out.

We had a preliminary meeting for my New Orleans spring break trip, which made me super-excited. We're supposed to be helping with Katrina cleanup/rebuilding. I know it will be an interesting experience, no matter what we do.

I think I'm finally over my cold. Well, I quit taking the medicine, anyway, and it didn't make me feel worse, so... yay!

I wanted to go swing dancing last night, but it was snowing like mad and I was nervous about going anywhere in the dark. Didn't go, but the dancing is every 3rd Friday of the month, so I plan to go next time.

However, this morning the snow was finished and I went to Habitat for Humanity. Working for Habitat is fulfilling; I get to make a difference in someone's life. It's great. I don't mind the physical labor; in fact I rather enjoy it. I'm thinking I might want to work for AmeriCorps or Habitat, but for now I will just volunteer. Today I: scraped paint, pulled nails, did some demo on a wall, killed mold, painted, removed cobwebs, swept floors, helped clean up construction materials (ceiling tile = skin irritant), carried ladders, went up on said ladders and cleaned track-lines off the ceiling-wall joints (at one point I was probably 10 feet up on planking), removed plastic from windows, and had fun. :) I even learned some new things, because I learned about Habitat's ReStore, where they sell salvaged or discontinued items. It's in a former dairy warehouse. Really neat building.

Soon I will be registering for May term and fall classes, which I am excited for. I plan to take New Testament Greek! :) I also will be signing up for housing. I don't know where I want to live yet, but there's two choices.

My one friend and I had steak tonight. Woo! Steak therapy is deeeelicious. :D

Well, it's almost 11 and I've been up since 6ish, and I'm tired. So... goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment