Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sliding into Saturday morning, 2 am...

Thursday I went up to ISU with a few of the RLC people to a talk called Promoting Religious Pluralism by a guy named David Fraccaro. He was an interesting fellow, a UCC pastor and former starving artist who saw 9/11 happen. He related the story of that experience and explained how it showed him that he needed to promote religious pluralism because of the hatred that arose for Islam. Religious pluralism is promoting communication and understanding between various religious factions (and atheists/agnostics too). I think I am somewhat a pluralist in the sense that I enjoy learning about and trying to understand other religions (see previous posts about Rosh Hashanah, Diwali, and Purim).

There's an organization called Interfaith Youth Core which is attempting to promote this pluralism. It's college-based and hoping to use college students to spread the message of peace. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with this.

Friday I got to color in my religion class! (it was slightly spoiled by having to analyze the drawings I was coloring, but hey! Coloring in class!) I got a letter from a dear home-church friend, and it made my day even better.

I went home with one of my friends and am typing this on my laptop (they've got wireless). When I came into the house, I was amazed by just how big it was. I was expecting it to be large because her parents are both doctors, but it has 4 bathrooms, 4.5 baths, two kitchens, two studies, a sunroom, two large hang-out spaces, a dining room, an exercise room, 3-car garage, and other rooms. It's huge. The bedroom I am in has a full bathroom and a walk-in closet, and it's just one of the kids' rooms! It has a bay window and a queen-size bed, along with an easy chair and ottoman. This room is huuuuge compared to my dorm room!

Anyway, the house is gorgeous. But that's not so important as that I got to meet three of her friends, all of whom are cuckoo, but so are MY friends. :D We played what is quite possibly the best party game ever (Apples to Apples) and watched two movies- The Great Muppet Caper and Spirited Away (an animated film).

I've got homework to do, but hopefully I will be able to work on it tomorrow/later today (Saturday). I'll be heading to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment