Sunday, January 24, 2010

On majors and money

I'm two weeks into my second semester of college, and I'm thinking about changing my major.

I am currently listed as an English major, and I've been telling people I'm an English and Spanish double-major.

But, to be honest, I don't like the English classes as much as I did when I was in middle school and lower grades of high school. They've grown to be just a pain, rather than a delight. The English class I took last semester was a waste of time because I didn't learn anything new, and it doesn't even count for the major. The class I am taking this semester doesn't count for the major, either, and I'm frustrated that I've wasted two class chances that I could be using for the major.

I know now that I don't want to be an English major anymore. The requirements are full of literature classes that will have depressing material, and there's only one or two writing courses. The classes will require many textbooks, which will add up to be more expensive. To top it off, the English major just doesn't feel like it is the right fit anymore.

I am now planning to be a Spanish major, for certain. I have already taken two of the classes required, and I get to study abroad for an entire semester as part of the major. I enjoy learning the language and customs, and the professors I've had make the classes interesting. Besides, being bilingual is good for one's brain.

Also on my list of considerations is the Religion department. I am currently taking a New Testament class, and it is fascinating. I'm learning new things about the New Testament, and I want to continue learning about the Bible and how it influences my world. I am thinking that a Religion minor would be better than a Religion major (No, I wouldn't go to seminary), just because then I could take whatever classes I wanted in the Religion department, as long as at least one was a 300-level. I'm planning on taking New Testament Greek next year, which would fulfill half of the minor when the class I'm currently in is included.

If I do not double-major, I can take more "random" courses, instead of just Spanish and Religion courses. Languages are my forte, and I'd like to take some French and some German, both of which Simpson offers. I can even take Hebrew on an independent-study type basis with the same professor who will be teaching the Greek. It's really too bad that Simpson doesn't offer a major that is "Take all the language courses you can!" :)

But besides languages, the point of a Liberal Arts education is to take classes from multiple disciplines. I am doing that with the Cornerstone requirements, but I'd like to be able to pursue other courses if I am interested in them.

I did some course mapping, like they always had us do in high school when we were planning for college, and I have found that I can take all the classes in both Spanish and Religion majors, if I wanted to, but I have to get rid of the English major to still graduate on time without taking summer courses. With a Spanish major and a Religion minor, I'd have plenty of space for the Cornerstone requirements AND for other areas of study.

Have I mentioned that I patently refuse to be a "super-senior"? Well, I do. I know that I will be over 25K in debt (unless I get some amazing scholarships) because I have an unsubsidized Federal Stafford loan that I will need to have all four years in order to pay for the tuition. Currently, I managed to get a scholarship and reduce it from $5500 to $5000 for this year, but I still am going to be in debt. I don't want to put that burden on my future, but I guess that's what happens...

Also, I don't want to be a Wesley Service scholar next year. I prefer not to have to report my service learning, and it's 80 hours for only $500. I can take less time and get more money with other scholarships (that's not laziness, that's efficiency). Besides, it makes me feel like I'm doing service for the wrong reasons if I'm getting paid.

So, I'm excited to change my major-minor, and I'm getting a bit discouraged about the money. I know that God will take care of me no matter what, but money is depressing to think about...

But God will provide! To quote a song a friend gave me: "I think I can't, I think I can't, but I think You can, I think You can!"

1 comment:

  1. I know that song! :-P
    And I also wish there was a "take every language" concentration or something. My extra language learning will most likely have to be informal since my "double major" makes it difficult to work in extra classes, as you pointed out.

    ReplyDelete